Thursday, November 07, 2019

Malnad Ultra 2019



Getting back to the trail after a long time, allow me to mix it up some components with some Chautauqua.
Thomas, Susheel Tomal and I ran down the last stretch to the finish line in tow, crossing the line with the clock reading 16:24, nudging the photographer to get a shot. Somehow the ultra runners in the queue behind the finish line didn’t seem to acknowledge. They just stood there, no cheering, nothing. Ok. Then we went up the stage to take some more pics. That’s when someone asked if we had done 1 loop, we said, "No, we finished 2". Then it dawned on them, that we had indeed finished the 100k and then, there was some applause. For most of them in that line, they had changed their goal post from finishing the run to organizer-bashing, complaining about the 30k loop marking, and focusing on getting the medal and not being branded as a DNF (the dreaded Did-Not-Finish).
Missing the woods (coffee estates?) for the trees (markings?), eh

The course

Due to some last minute exigencies, the course had to exclude CafĂ© Coffee Day estates this year. Laying a virgin course especially when it was raining like it was, is a huge challenge. I’m glad the Anand and team pressed on, and didn’t call it off altogether.

The start and finish was at Maskalmardi estate, a 50km loop to start with, over 2000m of climbs and then 2 loops of 30k each with about 1000m of climbs. My general plan was to finish the 50k section by lunch time, then the first 30k section before it gets dark. We had arrived at the estate a good 1.5hours before the start. At 4am, we had taken a shuttle bus ride from Ballavara to the start point. Navin, Sampath and I found a temple near the start point to lie down and stretch our legs, and then went into the wilderness for the big job!

In the last week, I had completed 4 sessions with a physio, trying to get my iliopsoas and ischial spine (sitting bone) to relax – injuries I had been carrying since my last 24h run. Given the inconsistent nature of these injuries, I wasn’t sure how long I would last on the trail. I brought out my most expensive piece of wardrobe – my full tights, for the extra support.

We started off well, within the first 2kms my injuries started talking. But in an Ultra, these things come and go. I kept a steady cadence, but the slushy trails, the climbs and the slippery downhills slowed everyone down considerably. I took 3.5hrs for the first 30k. Somewhere around the 15k or so, Sampath blazed past shouting “guess who”. He took the 50k in 4:45 at first place! The only runnable stretch was the ridge, with some spectacular views. 

I kept the company of a Swede Thor for a bit and we exchanged some running stories, then he got ahead. By the time I got back to the ridge, I was staving off some mild cramps as well. I borrowed a bottle from Opendro and some salt tablets from Deepak, bumped up some salt intake to help ease the cramps. I got back to Maskalmardi estate (with my Garmin showing 47.5k) at 12:45PM.




I picked up some gels and my own sipper from the baggage tent. I was hoping to get some solid food in, and limped down the steps, but lunch was not ready. I grabbed a couple of boiled eggs and was on my way.

Course markings

Just as I was about a km into the 30k section, I saw the race leaders back tracking! They were an agitated bunch – complaining, swearing, lots of negativity, about the markings that just kept looping, apparently. I said I will follow the course, even if I must loop all day. I simply believed that the organisers would have marked it alright. Then brimming with confidence, I went on ahead, found the right trail (with help from some volunteers who were now taking their place at their designated place to direct runners). But still managed to loop twice around a 2k section. The 30k loop was (admittedly) marked without much time or resources to audit.


There was one other place, when we got to the 56k aid station (with 54k showing on my Garmin) where I met runners who had done as less at 48k!! I was trying to stay on the right course, knowing I need to get there again when it would be dark. The 30k loop has a stretch of about U-turn of 3.5k on road, allowing to interact with a few other runners (who were again complaining!!). 

The markings were very confusing:
  • ^ and <- both="" but="" go="" in="" meant="" most="" places.="" places="" some="" span="" straight=""> meant “go left”
  • In some places the arrows were on the far side of the trees, and not visible when you are running in the correct direction
  • In another place, there were arrows going both right and left. What it meant was “First go left, do a small loop, then when you come back to this place, go Right”. Yeah, right!!
  • One other place, the arrows just led to a stream and then nothing. It meant “back track 1km, then you will see an arrow going right”

Anyways there were still enough uphills and one very slippery downhill to navigate. Some short runnable sections. My cramps, injuries and all else had settled down and I was keeping steady cadence. By now, Thomas – a 25 yr old from Chennai & Susheel – a 32yr old Navy from Bihar were keeping me company.
We spotted some boars & deer on a couple of occasions.

We finally got back to the road, a point 200m from the start. But we still had to take a 4km loop before we finished. There were some volunteers who led us on this loop, down to a pond, then back steep up to an inspection bunglow, back on road and to the start/finish point.

Aid stations, Food, medical, rest areas, etc.

Back at the start point, by 6pm, 80kms done, I picked up my headlamps, some more gels. I again tried to look for some solid food, gobbled some quick bisi bele bath and coffee and got back on the trail, for the last loop. The aid stations had enough water, but almost nothing useful to eat - just oranges and biscuits. Thankfully, I was sustaining myself with Gels and didn’t worry much. Most aid stations had an electrolyte drink, but the mixing was not consistent.
Medical was only at the start/finish point, there could have been some sprays in the aid stations, but not sure.

Weather and other elements

At the first aid station on the 30k loop, the three of us regrouped again. It was great to have company in the night section. I got lost more than once & if it were not for Thomas, would have just looped around. Susheel had long walking strides and ensured that we were keeping a steady pace. Thomas and I jogged the flats and downhills and caught up with him as he led us on.

We navigated the entire course, my legs were now on auto pilot. We came to the final road section and I insisted that we do the 4k loop as well. My Garmin was only showing about 97k and I wanted to at least get to a 100k. And we of course have to do the entire course, the runners conscience doesn’t permit otherwise. So we crossed the broken bridge (again!) and made our way towards that treacherous uphill. But this time, the markings were off, there were no volunteers at the turn off point and it looked like the course was cut short. We reluctantly jogged some more took a U-turn and made our way to the finish line.

Finishers medals!!!

Or the finishers belt buckle. To compensate for the marking fiasco and for the difficulty of the course, the organisers had decided to hand out 110k belt buckles even if you had only done 1 loop or 80k. And guess what, there was line of these runners, just waiting to pick up their (undeserved) medals. Who cares that there was still a good 8hours to go and only 30k to do, let’s just get that 110k belt buckle, that should be enough to brag about?

Back in those days, about 10yrs back, when we used to train in Cubbon Park, running folklore had it that the lap wouldn’t count, if you didn’t touch the Cubbon park gates, as you took a U-turn. To this day, when I run in Cubbon, I touch those gates. Running is a means to an end, sadly, the end seems to be social media bragging rights for a few.

As for me, I checked off a few boxes – ran without my injuries flaring up, got back to trails after a really long time, managed 16hrs on my feet.

I almost took a one-year sabbatical from running, about a week before this race, to bring back some balance into my life. But thanks to my family (once again!) I was still able to gang up with my BHUKMP pals for this trip and totally enjoyed it.
Each run is a gift, each trail, each step is – feel the gratitude!

6 comments:

Sameer Agarwal said...

Congratulations Manoj. 100 kms is incredible. I cannot drive so much at one go.

Sridharan said...

Super awesome feat Manoj, congratulations. After hearing about all the travails of other runners at this year's course, it is hard to believe that you did 110k. More power to you.

Jagdish Damania said...

Once again congratulation. Thanks Manoj for good feedback on the course marking.

Opendro said...

Manoj. It was nice meeting you, sharing fun and frustration in parts of the trail. You aptly described the chakravyu :-)

Spoorthi said...

Nice Post. Very well written. I could feel the route and the scenary as I kept reading. Next year I intend to do this run. Lot of DNF offlate. It's time to get back.

ASHOKP said...

Nicely conveyed the experience, thks Coach Manoj. Some head up to me for upcoming Malnadu 50km.