Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Run like a roach - Bengaluru Midnight Marathon 09

Date: 12th Dec 09

Why run like a cockroach? Apparently we runners have a new role model. Read the story here. And that’s what happened on that cold Saturday night in Bangalore. Runners came out like roaches at the stroke of midnight to take part in the marathon.

A cockroach doesn’t think much about running, it just runs!

Neither did we!! Crossover, who were organizing the marathon, did not have a good track record, the rains were not relenting in Bangalore and it was a 8loops x 5.2k run. I did no running myself between the Ultra and the midnight marathon. But naah, we didn’t think of all that, we just turned up and ran.

The run was much better organized this time around. The water stations remained stocked (with water!) till about 4-5am. The traffic was definitely much better managed, the entire 2.1k stretch (yes, even that is a lot!) was cordoned off, well lit, freshly laid and almost flat. Registration was hassle free, maybe because there were no goodies to hand over! Ambulances stayed on the course, but by 3:30am when I had begun to cramp I had to run around to get some medical aid.


Roaches are social animals:
It was fantastic to see the support from RFL and fellow runners. My wife, Shreya braved the midnight chill and patiently waited at the start point while the husband (me!) ran round in loops. It was refreshing to see the entire BHUKMP team, led by captian Rishi cruising along the course. Chandra was god-send, after his half marathon, he hung around helping the runners with sprays and massages. To do this between 3am-5am, was truly fantastic. RFL also played its part – being there for the full marathoners when most needed. At about 3am, they set up a stall near mid way on the course, well stocked with water, electral, sprays & biscuits. They ran this counter till 6am.

Roaches have sore points too:
Timing Planet: Next time I hear this, I will scurry away into a dark corner and stay there. Timing Chip allowed you to rent for Rs.250. At the counter, we were promised that there would be timings & certificates provided. The Chip reader at the U-turn point ran out of power after about 3hrs! The timings were published a week after the event. They were based on RFID (?) nos. and not on Bib/running nos. There was no way of saying which timing belonged to you. Certificates? Since when did roaches get certificates?

My run:
I managed a good run myself. Considering that I had no specific training for this one, I ran the entire distance in 4:20hrs. Since it was a 4.2k loop to be done 10times, it provided a good chance to analyze the split timings – a variation of 23mins to 32mins for the lap timings, was not too much of a variance. Well, the curve is not bell-shaped, but I am still happy that my fastest was not the first, and my slowest was not the last!

Got to run now, damn that cockroach, where’s that HIT ;)
Photo courtesy: RFL
For a better run report visit Bhasker here

1 comment:

R, Venkatachalam said...

Congrats dude! Well done! To turn up for an event with no prep and doing it in 4:20 is an awesome job! Am coming there soon :P