Saturday, February 23, 2008

The 'S' Marathon

The Genesis

“Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.”
When I quote this, I am only partly referring to this half marathon series.

Let me take you through the thought process. I have a problem and I figure I can’t live with that problem for long. So, I need to solve it. (Are you still with me?) If I were to find a solution, I need to get to the root cause. Now that is another problem. Can’t live with that one either. So, I need to solve this one too. (Are you the same you, who was with me then?) As you can see, I was getting nowhere close to the solution. Then I decided to work it Bottom-Up, most solutions are simple. Seek Absolution.

I am quite capable of all that thinking myself, but some credit should also go to Robert Harris’ book Pompeii for this one, he took me through 300pages of stuff like this.

Ok, the serious stuff, I figured I had to feel sorry and in the process try and get to the what-went-wrong part. When you are long distance runner, all you got to do (can do?) to fix some aberrations and find answers is simply “run”.

In this Sorry Series, I am going to attempt to run 5 half marathons in 5 days, hoping to feel a lot of remorse, not just the pain.

The ‘S’ Marathon

(pls. click on the image above to make some sense of it)
Unfortunately for me, the time between the thought process and the start of the 5 day ordeal was only enough for one dinner and a good night sleep. I woke up this morning ready to take it straight on.

I ran a distance of 20.8kms from my home near Hebbal taking the route of the last year’s Bangalore half marathon to Kanteerava Stadium and back. The mind was however, jogging down some memories. I covered the distance in 1:54mins at a average beats per minute (BPM) of 165 and a maximum of 202!!

Did I get the answers? “No”. Do I feel the remorse / pain? “Yes”.
I have not been in the running groove for the last month or so, trying to kid myself that this is the recovery phase. Just warming a new pair of Adidas Supernova as well, but I guess I will survive!

Coming up on the morrow – The ‘O’ Marathon… Do come back!

No comments: